REI Custom Program
The REI Custom Program Draws From Over Three Decades of Research
Rhythmic Entrainment Intervention™ (REI) is an auditory brain stimulation program that uses musical rhythm to stimulate and re-pattern neurological function. A unique blend of modern advances in brain research and ancient rhythmic techniques, REI facilitates long-term behavioral and cognitive improvement in individuals with neurological disorders.
REI was borne out of ethnomusicological research REI creator Jeff Strong began in the early 1980’s. For over a decade Mr. Strong immersed himself in time-tested rhythmic techniques, studying with traditional practitioners from around the world. He then extracted the core mechanisms of these techniques and began researching them in a controlled setting.
After 11 years of extensive clinical and scientific research, including several double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, Mr. Strong and the Strong Institute research staff identified hundreds of rhythmic combinations that correspond to specific behavioral and cognitive symptoms. This research resulted in two important findings:
- Exposure to specific musical rhythm patterns elicits immediate calming and focusing effects.
- Repeated exposure to these rhythms results in long-term behavioral and cognitive improvements.
The REI Custom Program was created in 2004. Careful collection and analysis of data have allowed the composition, protocols and efficacy of the program to continually evolve. The current REI Custom Program is the most effective presentation of REI to date.
The REI Custom Program is The Only Completely Custom-made Auditory Program
We learned early on while developing the REI Custom Program that each person responds to a different type and level of stimulus. Our first formal institutional study in 1994 used custom-made recordings, employing the same protocol as our earliest research. That is, REI creator Jeff Strong performed live for each subject while the listener's responses were tracked. A recording was made based on this data. This recording was then played once a day and adjusted as the listener progressed.
This process has varied only slightly in the last 2 decades. Though Jeff rarely performs live for a client, our focus on customization is stronger than ever: We ensure you receive the progressive stimulation that meets your needs.
As you complete the REI Custom Program Intake process, we identify the major issues you face and create a map of the appropriate stimulation to meet your goals. We use sophisticated algorithms to assemble the proper rhythms for your first REI Audio Track; each subsequent track is created in 14-day intervals according to your progression through the program.
This ensures the most efficient and effective program possible. Indeed, this is where we excel: Custom stimulation for optimal client improvement.
Join the Thousands Who Have Successfully Used This Innovative Program
Since 1994, the REI Custom Program™ has been used successfully by tens of thousands of people from around the world. Our clientele consists of both children and adults who come to us with a variety of conditions, including:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD, ADHD, AD/HD)
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Anxiety Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Learning Disabilities
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Traumatic Brain Injury
REI Custom Program Is Easy to Use
Once you complete the intake, your online program is available almost immediately.
Implementing the program is easy:
- Play the designated REI track once a day.
- Choose the same time or a different time each day, whichever fits your schedule.
- Play the track quietly in the background while the listener engages in a quiet activity (reading or being read to, playing, eating, going to sleep, etc.). There is no need to actively listen to the music or to use headphones.
- Enter your progess every 7-14 days, depending on your program, to receive your next scheduled custom REI track.
- Contact us anytime you have questions or concerns.
Remember: With the REI Custom Program, there is no need for any special equipment or even headphones (though you can use headphones if you wish). You simply play your session through any device.
Choose the Best Program for Your Needs
We offer several versions of the REI Custom Program to ensure we meet your needs. These inlude: the all-inclusive REI Custom Program, the REI Custom Calm Program, the REI Custom Focus Program, the REI Custom Sensory Processing Program, and the REI Custom Sleep Program.
Our premier program, the REI Custom Program draws from 10 symptom areas for people with multiple issues. These symptom areas include:
- Anxiety - Includes anxiety related issues.
- Attention/focus/hyperactivity/executive function - Includes attention-related issues including the classic symptoms of ADD.
- Behavioral issues - Includes issues such as aggression, compliance, tantrums, and others.
- Cognitive issues - Includes symptoms related to cognition such as memory, reasoning, and others.
- Language/communication - Includes issues related to language and communication including speech and writing.
- Mood issues - Includes general mood issues as well as symptoms of depression and bipolar disorder.
- Self-stimulatory behaviors - Includes behaviors such as rocking, flapping, toe-walking, vocal perseveration, and others.
- Sensory Processing - Includes sensory defensive and sensory seeking behavior.
- Sleep - Includes issues related to falling and staying asleep.
- Social Interaction - Includes issues related to social interaction and engagement.
The REI Custom Program intake will help us identify the scope and severity of your unique constellation of challenges. Your twelve custom-made REI tracks will provide long-term improvement in each of these areas.
Since our first clinical study in 1994, we have perfected our ability to reduce anxiety and induce calm.
Whether you experience panic attacks or your child displays tantrums, or you feel a constant underlying sense of dread or your child constantly worries, we deliver the proper stimulus to achieve your goal of lower anxiety and a more functional life.
If you or your child experience any of following, the REI Custom Calm Program is made for you.
Anxiety Could Be Impacting Your or Your Child’s Life if:
- You Worry All the Time.
- Your child throws tantrums.
- You Feel an Underlying Sense of Unease or Dread.
- Your child won’t let you out of his sight.
- You Avoid Certain Social Situations.
- Your child worries excessively.
- You Have Panic Attacks.
- Your child becomes unresponsive or retreats into a shell.
- You Get Angry or Frustrated.
- Your child avoids or wants to avoid certain places or situations.
- You Feel Paralyzed by Fear or Uncertainty.
The REI Custom Calm Program provides 6 custom-made REI tracks for long-term improvement in anxiety.
We all have trouble focusing sometimes. Significant trouble sustaining attention, however, can be a sign of the brain-based condition ADHD (ADD, AD/HD). We draw from over 25 years of REI research to improve your attention, cognition and executive function.
We will evaluate each of your attention and executive function issues and address them one by one.
If you or your child experience any of following, the REI Custom Focus Program is made for you.
Inattention or Poor Executive Function Could Be Impacting Your Life if:
- You Have Trouble Finishing Projects.
- You Are Easily Distracted.
- You Are Forgetful.
- You Have Poor Listening Skills.
- You Are Easily Angered.
- You Feel Restless.
- You Are Often Late.
- You Have Trouble Prioritizing Tasks.
The REI Custom Focus Program provides 6 custom-made REI tracks for long-term improvement in attention and executive function.
How we process sensory information dictates how we interact in the world. Whether we are overwhelmed or are unable to perceive or discern sensory input, those of us with sensory processing issues are often unable (or in some cases unwilling) to function easily in the world. We avoid difficult situations. We act out. We are at the mercy of stimulus we cannot control.
Anybody who has sensory issues is going to fall into one of two camps:
- Hypersensitive: To be anxious or overwhelmed or shut down and retreat from sensory input.
- Hyposensitive: To be under-responsive and unable to discern the subtleties of sensory input.
Individuals with sensory sensitivities are in one of these two camps. And sometimes, we reside in both camps, with hypersensitivity in one area and hyposensitivity in another.
Whether you experience anxiety or overwhelm, or feel disconnected from your sensory environment, we will create the optimal program to help you accomplish your goals.
The REI Custom Sensory Processing Program provides 6 custom-made REI tracks for long-term improvement in your response to sensory input.
We all have trouble sleeping occasionally. We miss a night of sleep, yet we bounce back.
Many of us, however, have chronic sleep problems. If you or your child experience any of following, the REI Custom Sleep Program is made for you.
- You often have trouble falling asleep.
- •ou wake frequently at night.
- Your sleep patterns change often.
- You wake too early in the morning.
- You experience leg pain or an intense urge to move them at night.
- You don't feel rested upon waking.
- You are tired throughout the day.
- You fall asleep when you don't want to.
The REI Custom Sleep Program provides 6 custom-made REI tracks for long-term improvement in sleep.